The following notice is to update CUPE members about the JES classification appeal. If you have any questions, please your Local and CUPE staff representative.
Our records indicate that you wish to appeal the decision of Classification and Organizational Design Division with respect to the Review of your position. Please ensure you read all of the email below as the process has now been determined and it may affect your appeal or parts thereof.
Enclosed please find:
- 1) a copy of your appeal file with all pertinent information prepared as a result of the classification review for your review and comment within 14 days of receiving this file;
- 2) a copy of the new Classification Appeal Form; and
- 3) a summary of the Classification Appeal Process.
The complete JES Classification Appeal process can be viewed in your collective agreement and additional information can be found at www.psc.gov.nl.ca/psc/commission
The appeal process is restricted to those Factors identified as being challenged and sufficient reasoning (rationale) provided. The appeal of specific factor(s) shall not be accepted based job content information which differs from that reviewed by Classification & Organizational Design Division. It is very important to be specific with the rationale for each Factor you are appealing using job content information from your PDQ.
Development & Leadership
The degree should be 2 because I provide on the job training to summer students and work term students. On page 26 of my PDQ, under Development and Leadership, Question 2, I stated that I provided on the job training to university students on work terms. The application guidelines for Development and leadership states that for degree 2, the reference to student employees includes co-op students. University work term students are co-op students.
NOTE: Remember to provide a full and complete answer as the Classification Appeal Adjudicator may render a decision based on the information provided.
If you did not identify the factor(s) being challenged and provide sufficient reasoning, please complete PART 3 of the enclosed Form and submit same to firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 days of receiving this communication.
If you are satisfied that you have specifically identified the factor(s) being challenged and given the rationale for each factor, no further action is required as it will be assumed you are satisfied that you have met the requirements for appeal if Part 3 of the new form is not received within 14 days.
Some Highlights of the JES Appeal Process include the following:
- 1) The request for appeal must identify which factor(s) is/are being challenged and the associated rationale for each factor(s). The appeal process is restricted to those factors identified as being challenged and sufficient reasoning provided.
- 2) The Classification Appeal Adjudicator shall only consider information that was reviewed by Classification & Organizational Design Division. If the job content is different from that reviewed by Classification & Organizational Design Division, the employee or group of employees shall first approach Classification and Organizational Design Division seeking further review on the basis of the new circumstances involved.The job content information reviewed by Classification & Organizational Design Division is that found in the PDQ.
- 3) The Classification Appeal Adjudicator may render decision on the written documentation provided or may hold hearings if deemed necessary.
Download a printable copy of this notice here.